– George Kinoti held a press conference on Monday, November 23, and claimed some of the 2007/08 Post Election Violence (PEV) victims were receiving fresh threats
– The DCI boss vowed to get to the bottom of the matter and expose faces behind the new threats and heinous acts that happened in 2007/08
– Kinoti told the press a total of 72 cases had been recorded by victims whose loved ones were killed and 44 others filed by those who were evicted from their lands
PAY ATTENTION: Help us change more lives, join TUKO.co.ke’s Patreon programme
A section of 2007/08 Post Election Violence Victims (PEV) victims who trooped to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) headquarters to record statements have claimed they were duped.
“We wanted to run away”
The victims who spoke to the press on Friday, November 27, said they were invited to Nairobi through phone calls but were never told about the agenda of the meeting.
The witnesses said they were perplexed when they heard DCI boss George Kinoti make allegations that they had received fresh threats related to those of 2007/08 violence.
“We did not know what we were going to do because we were just called. We met other people from other parts of the country, Kiambaa victims alone, we were really shocked and even wanted to run away but we couldn’t because we were already there. We never asked for compensation,” said one of the victims from Kiambaa.
166 fresh cases
During the meeting that was held at DCI headquarters on Monday, November 23, Kinoti vowed to exposed perpetrators of the 2007/08 violence.
The tough-talking chief sleuth said it was his responsibility to investigate every claim launched before his office including the past ones.
He told the press a total of 72 cases had been recorded by those whose loved ones were killed and 44 others filed by victims who were banished from their lands.
“We will not let it happen again, we have received numerous complaints and we are acting on them, we will collaborate with the Administration police and Police Service. We are going to the field and very soon you will see action,” said Kinoti.
A section of political leaders came out guns blazing and castigated the DCI boss for attempting to revive ethnic clashes.
The leaders, the majority of whom were allies of Deputy President William Ruto, accused Kinoti of being used by the state to cause chaos in the Rift Valley region in order to taint the name and reputation of Ruto ahead of the 2022 General Election.
“The statement by DCI is a desperate move by the System after failing in all their efforts to bring down the DP. They want to incite violence against communities in R.Valley and especially Eldoret to weaken DP’s political strength in Mt.Kenya. They may even burn houses or Kill people,” said Elegeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen via his Twitter handle
When the pressure piled on him, Kinoti issued a statement clarifying he did not intend to revive the PEV cases.
Uhuru and Ruto were among six suspects who were charged at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in relation to the violence but their cases were dropped due to lack of enough evidence.
Do you have a groundbreaking story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp: 0732482690. Contact Tuko.co.ke instantly.
Follow up: My son has breasts and he is no longer ashamed of himself | Tuko TV[embedded content]