Egypt has tightened anti-virus restrictions in stations, schools, and mosques and threatened to punish violators.
Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly affirmed the necessity of adhering to the precautionary measures against the novel coronavirus, warning that the second wave of the pandemic is harder than the previous one.
During a virtual cabinet meeting on Wednesday, Madbouly stressed that all concerned bodies should apply all these measures strictly at all work and production sites amid the rise in infection rates witnessed these days. He ordered tightening campaigns on places that violate the precautionary measures, and impose penalties stipulated in the law and in the cabinet’s decisions in this regard.
Moreover, the minister called for reducing crowding at public workplaces, giving governmental entities and ministries discretion and flexibility to determine, upon work conditions, the needed number of employees.
Egyptian National Railways emphasized that passengers can’t access stations without facemasks.
In an effort to prevent the spread of the virus among school students, Education Minister Tarek Shawki ordered teachers and students to follow strict precautionary measures, including the wearing of facemasks throughout the school day.
The Health Ministry said in a statement that 275 new coronavirus cases were detected, upping the total number of confirmed cases in Egypt since the beginning of the outbreak to 111,284.
The Ministry said 16 patients have died from the virus over the past 24 hours, raising the death toll to 6,481. Meanwhile, the number of recovered cases reached 101,288 so far.