BERLIN — Iran has agreed to allow inspectors access at two sites where the country is suspected of having stored or used undeclared nuclear material, the U.N. atomic watchdog agency said Wednesday.

The International Atomic Energy Agency said that Iran was “voluntarily providing the [agency] with access to the two locations specified by the [agency] and facilitating the … verification activities to resolve the issues.”

The agency said, in a joint statement with Iran, that the dates for the inspections had been agreed but did not say when they would take place.

The inspections would resolve a monthslong impasse between Iran and the atomic energy agency. The announcement came as agency Director-General Rafael Grossi was on his way home to Vienna after his first visit to Tehran since taking over the post in December.

Iran had been resisting providing access to the sites, which are thought to be from the early 2000s, before it signed the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, maintaining that the U.N. agency had no legal basis to visit them.

The head of Iran’s nuclear agency, Ali Akbar Salehi, confirmed that Iran had agreed to the inspections, saying “this will bring the case to an end.”

“We are loyal to conventions and our commitments,” he said, adding that he hoped the agreement would open a new chapter between Iran and the agency based upon “good intentions and mutual acceptance.”

Iranian President , who on Wednesday met with the U.N. agency chief, said Grossi’s visit had produced a “good agreement that can help for moving on a correct and proper path and achieve the final resolution of problems.”

As the U.S. and others continue to put more pressure on Iran, Rouhani urged the agency to continue its “independence, impartiality and professionalism.”

Grossi told agency board members in March that it had “identified a number of questions related to possible undeclared nuclear material and nuclear-related activities at three locations that have not been declared by Iran” and had been pressing for access.

In its report in June, the agency said that it had determined that one site had undergone “extensive sanitization and leveling” in 2003 and 2004 and there would be no verification value in inspecting it. It said Iran has blocked access to the other two locations, one of which was partially demolished in 2004 and the other at which the agency observed activities “consistent with efforts to sanitize” the facility from July 2019 onward.

At the same time, it emphasized that Iran had been fully providing access to sites agreed upon in the 2015 nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, with the U.S., Russia, China, Germany, France and Britain.

The nuclear deal promised Iran economic incentives in return for the curbs on its nuclear program. President pulled the U.S. out of the deal unilaterally in 2018, saying it needed to be renegotiated.

Information for this article was contributed by Nasser Karimi of The Associated Press.

Iran to let UN inspectors see 2 nuke sites
Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency, IAEA, Rafael Mariano Grossi, left, and Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif attend a meeting in Tehran, Iran, Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2020. Grossi arrived in Iran on Monday to press for access to sites where authorities are thought to have stored or used undeclared nuclear material. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iran to let UN inspectors see 2 nuke sites
In this photo released by the official website of the office of the Iranian Presidency, President , right, meets Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency, IAEA, Rafael Mariano Grossi at the presidency office in Tehran, Iran, Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020. The U.N. nuclear watchdog agency said Wednesday that Tehran has agreed to allow inspectors in to two sites where Iran is suspected of having stored or used undeclared nuclear material. (Iranian Presidency Office via AP)
Iran to let UN inspectors see 2 nuke sites
Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency, IAEA, Rafael Mariano Grossi, center left, speaks with Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, center left, before a meeting in Tehran, Iran, Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2020. Grossi arrived in Iran on Monday to press for access to sites where authorities are thought to have stored or used undeclared nuclear material. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

Read original article here.