Marcus Rashford hits back after claims Boris Johnson has reached out to footballer over free …Marcus Rashford hits back after claims Boris Johnson has reached out to footballer over free …
Marcus Rashford, left, has been campaigning for the government to extend free school meals. (PA/Getty)

Manchester United star Marcus Rashford says he hasn’t spoken to about free school meals since June, after a government minister said the two had been in contact.

BBC Breakfast that Rashford and the prime minister had been communicating.” data-reactid=”24″>The England forward was responding to Matt Hancock, who was quoted as telling BBC Breakfast that Rashford and the prime minister had been communicating.

when the government reversed its position and decided to extend free school meals for children into the summer holidays after the footballer campaigned on the issue.” data-reactid=”25″>Rashford tweeted that the last time he had talked to Johnson was in June, when the government reversed its position and decided to extend free school meals for children into the summer holidays after the footballer campaigned on the issue.

Rashford, who is now campaigning for meals to be extended into school holidays again, said he did not receive a reply to a letter to Johnson written more than a month ago.

provided by businesses, councils and community groups as half-term began this week.” data-reactid=”33″>Thousands of meals were being provided by businesses, councils and community groups as half-term began this week.

Watch: Rashford says did not reply to letter” data-reactid=”34″>Watch: Rashford says did not reply to letter

A petition set up by Rashford calls on the government to “expand access to free school meals, provide meals and activities during holidays to stop holiday hunger and increase the value of and expand the Healthy Start scheme”.” data-reactid=”39″>A petition set up by Rashford calls on the government to “expand access to free school meals, provide meals and activities during holidays to stop holiday hunger and increase the value of and expand the Healthy Start scheme”.

It had reached more than 880,000 signatures by Monday morning.

Hancock, meanwhile, insisted millions of pounds have been given to councils to help their communities.

The government is enduring a backlash over its stance after it voted down a Labour motion on the issue in the Commons.

Senior Tory MP Sir Bernard Jenkin said ministers had “misunderstood the mood of the country”.

tweeting examples of how people have helped to feed children in need, warned that some Tory MPs had received “unacceptable abuse” on the issue.” data-reactid=”46″>However, Rashford, who has been tweeting examples of how people have helped to feed children in need, warned that some Tory MPs had received “unacceptable abuse” on the issue.

Watch: Can you catch COVID-19 twice?” data-reactid=”49″>Watch: Can you catch COVID-19 twice?

Read original article here.